Salcare helps create safer & stronger communities, where families, who are moving away from abuse and poverty, feel empowered to build a new future.
We do this through the provision of practical & emotional support for the whole family.
Our furniture warehouse has been operating since 1977 and is the founding need in the community that the charity was set up for. We also provide a range of other services within the warehouse around the shop, foodbank and community pantry.
The Volunteer Role
Volunteering in the warehouse is busy, we sell larger items of furniture including sofa’s, kitchen goods and bedroom furniture that need moving, cleaning and delivering.
• Participate in an induction and training.
• Collecting, moving and delivering items of furniture for the home
• Cleaning white good ready for sale
• PAT testing electrical good (Training/qualifications provided)
• Providing help on food deliveries
• Keep all food shelves organised, clean, well-stocked from the food store, and properly rotated.
• Assist the pantry staff by bagging fresh produce, splitting items as necessary and recording dates of food items delivered.
• Accept food donations from local people and partners (like local schools).
• Warehouse cleaning
• Foster a positive work environment of great teamwork, mutual respect, non-judgement and effective communication.
Qualifications & Personal Attributes
• Age 18 and older
• Ability to commit to at least one shifts per week for a month
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Strong organisational skills
• Good spoken and written English a plus
• Positive attitude and a team player
• Ability to lift 10lbs is preferred, though not required
• Understanding of the issues facing the local community
• Compassion and non-judgemental
• Completion of DBS if necessary