– Provide walks up to 3 miles long, roughly 1 ½ hours long.
– Producing a walk schedule which comprises of a brief overview of planned walks for the
next 3 months, including meeting location, brief overview and distance of the walk.
– Risk assess each walk – training will be given on this.
– Take a register for each session and provide a copy of this at the end of the month to
Amber Valley Borough Council.
– Hand out New Walker Registration forms to new walkers and hand these back to Amber
Valley Borough Council once completed.
– Attend meeting with Amber Valley Walking Together volunteer walk leaders to discuss
future direction of the programme, usually bimonthly.
– Informing the volunteering coordinator in advance if you are unable to attend your
volunteering role as arranged or would like to end your volunteering role.
– To comply with all relevant legislation including, but not limited to, Data Protection Act
1998 and GDPR
Amber Valley Borough Council will:
– Recruit and manage volunteers in line with the equality of opportunity.
– Encourage a positive and supportive volunteering experience.
– Provide adequate insurance for the volunteer whilst carrying out their voluntary role as
Walk Leader volunteer.
– Provide Walk Leader training to all volunteers, including providing information about
relevant policies and procedures associated with leading walks, thus adhering to good
health and safety practices at all times.
– Provide relevant PPE and identification relevant to the role
– Provide a named contact, provide regular scheme updates and discuss any changes to the
volunteer’s role taking onboard volunteer feedback.
– Ensure the volunteer knows what is expected of the walk leader role and provide clear
information and instruction to support them to carry out their role.
– Not impose unreasonable expectations and always be prepared for a volunteer to say they
cannot take on a particular role or time commitment.
– Strive to resolve any concerns fairly and reasonably, applying our complaints procedure
when it’s needed.
– Provide written references after volunteers have completed their role with Amber Valley if
– First aid training opportunities, first aid kit and a Hi-Vis to walk in.
WHAT ARE AMBER VALLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL LOOKING FOR?
If you are an organised, friendly person who loves the outdoors and exploring your local area then we want to hear from you.
We are looking for walk leaders to lead short walks (up to 3 miles) to get the community active.
Skills and Qualifications required
Knowledge of walks in their local area/ willingness to learn these.
Friendly people person
Basic computer literacy skills including Microsoft word and outlook emails.