Goal of Position:
To support DUWCs in the delivery of welfare rights advice services, which aim to ensure that Derbyshire residents are in receipt of the maximum income due to them through benefits and credits.
- Providing benefits checks for families
- Helping to complete claim forms eg: Personal Independence Payments
- Making home visits (in pairs) to those unable to access advice sessions
- Liaising with statutory bodies on claimants behalf
Length of commitment:
Due to the need for a long training period (around 6 months), we are looking for long term support.
Estimated Total Hours:
5+ per week
To fit around our advice sessions (weekdays, office hours). Schedules are planned out in advance so some commitment needed.
Mostly Chesterfield but with other outreach sites around the district.
No formal qualifications or experience required, but certain skills are needed to be a successful advisor. These include: Listening, communication, a good standard of literacy and numeracy and an empathy with those people who are using our services.
Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Full training and work experience as a welfare rights adviser
- Good job satisfaction from making a real difference in the community.