Purpose of role:
To assist in the operating of a collection of original Tramcars in passenger service for the enjoyment and educational benefit of our visitors.
- You must be between the ages of 16 and 70 and have good health and mobility.
- The Conductor/Guard works with a Driver and is responsible for the safety of the passengers.
- You will assist in preparing the Tram at the beginning and end of day and complete approximately twelve trips in your duty.
- You will assist with and supervise passenger boarding and alighting at stops, talking visitors and issuing tickets, ensuring that you give correct bell signals to the Driver when it is safe to depart.
Training will be given, starting with an induction course and then “in-service” training
Progression to Tram Driver, Duty Inspector, Instructor, Assessor are all future opportunities within the Traffic Department.
- To act as a representative and ambassador for Crich Tramway Village and the National Tramway Museum.
- To ensure the health and safety of visitors, volunteers and staff by following designated procedures.
- To work within the guidelines of the Volunteer Policy and related organisational policies (i.e., Safeguarding, Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Access, etc.).
- An enthusiastic attitude
- An interest in working with people
- Reliability and flexibility
- Good interpersonal skills
- A good sense of humour
- An interest in the work of museums
Relevant skills and experience
- Experience of / willingness to work as part of a team
- Pleasant, friendly manner, polite under pressure
- Attention to detail
Please note: This is a Safety Critical Role
The conductor is the visible presence on the tram and the primary contact between the museum and our visitors, but the most important part of the role is less visible.
- Be numerate to issue tickets and complete waybills
- Understand the way the museum works and be able explain this to visitors
- Be comfortable conversing with customers and know when to give more information or to stop.
- Must be able to understand instructions whether given in writing or verbally
- Must be able to enjoy a good working relationship with the driver. The driver and the conductor are a team.
- Supervise the safe movement of traffic across the depot fan, watching the track, overhead and visitors.
- Must understand and operate single line staffs
- When dealing with passengers be aware where the tram on the line and respond accordingly
- Must understand and be able to take necessary action in the event of fire, derailment, dewirement etc.
- Must be able to take command of the tram in the event of an incident and issue clear and concise instructions to passengers.
- Must be able to use our radios to give and receive information.